quinta-feira, 30 de dezembro de 2021

2021 SHORTLIST

collen green cool

Present day, there is only one person in the entire world who would make me leave everything behind, run away in a Peugeot 505 convertible and speed along a desert road to the sound of her singing, the chat and her jokes - Kim Deal.

Last year I came across to a Colleen Green song for the first time "Deeper Than Love" - a simple and wonderful track from 2015 LP "I Want to Grow Up", an album that I've never heard before. But I got intrigued, this particular song was quite diferent from the rest of the album, I mean, it had minimalistic elements that weren't present in the other nice 8 to 9 Radio/Rock/Hatfield songs. Please remember that in 2015 I was all in to Suburban Lawns magic, my mood was not so great and open. To be fair, I've had probably heard that Green's record but didn't sticked with me. 
Now the best part - Colleen Green released her fourth studio album via Hardly Art - "Cool" on September 10, 2021 produced by Gordon Raphael. There was a gap of six years in the making but I believe most of the songs were recorded in 2019. Many things happened between that period of time, for instance one global pandemic... but hey, we get the message: don't rush... sometimes time can be a precious tool and can elevate Art to another level of greatness. I think this is the case, "Cool" is more focused, ironic, beautiful but also dark. I can say it out loud, this is my album of the year 2021.

Kim Deal is driving the Olive Green Peugeot 505 convertible, I'm on her side, we are listening to Colleen Green's new cassette. The song "Highway" is playing, we agree that music can be beautiful and simple, we hit the road, enjoy the landscape, cool!  

  
BEST ALBUM
01. Colleen Green - Cool
02. Dry Cleaning - New Long Leg
03. PACKS - Take The Cake
04. Audiobooks - Astro Tough
05. Wednesday - Twin Plagues
06. Rosa Vertov - Day In Day Out
07. Amyl and the Sniffers - Comfort To Me
08. Circuit des Yeux - -io
09. Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend
10. Olivia Newton-John - Physical (remastered 2021)
11. Squirrel Flower - Planet (i)

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
01."Silvertongue" - PACKS
02."Scratchcard Lanyard" - Dry Cleaning
03."Highway" - Colleen Green
04."Proud Home" - Lily Konigsberg
05."Chaise Long" - Wet Leg
06."The Doll" - Audiobooks
07."Vanishing" - Circuit Des Yeux
08."Three Sisters" - Wednesday
09."Someone Else" - Colleen Green
10."Dreamsickle" - Wombo
11."Guided by Angels" - Amyl and The Sniffers
12."Snakes" - MIYAVI/PVRIS
13."Station station" - Miynt
14."Physical" - Olivia Newton-John
15."Days In Vain" - Rosa Vertov
16."Big Beast" - Squirrel Flower
17."Nothing personal" - Miynt
18."More" - Low
19."New TV" - PACKS
20."Over the Hill" - Buke & Gase
21."Stabilise" - Nilüfer Yanya
22."Wet Dream" - Wet Leg




My choice for best music video of 2021 is "Vanishing" by Circuit des Yeux - a bold music video, intense and beautiful. Superb editing and the song its like an heavy metal song without beeing heavy metal, so great!

But man, I can not leave another dark year away without mentioning the first pick for honorable mention of 2021 - Imagine Dragons x J.I.D. "Enemy" from the awesome animated series that ran on netflix this fall, you know: "Arcane". I believe the future of entertainment will never be the same from this moment on. The quality of the 3D/2D animation, the blending of the two tecniques and the strong storyline based on the characters from the League of Legends game are out of this world, I'm so amazed, I'm stunned really.

BEST MUSIC VIDEO
Circuit des Yeux - "Vanishing" (Official Music Video)


HONORABLE MENTIONS:
Imagine Dragons x J.I.D - Enemy (from the series Arcane)
cleopatrick - FAMILY VAN (Official Video)

Sem comentários: