quarta-feira, 1 de janeiro de 2020

2019 SHORTLIST



2020... I know, the darkest days are coming and the best way I found to not get into a panic spree and still get inspired to do things is by listening to the modern muses of the apocalypse aka Natalie Mering / Weyes Blood and Claire Elise Boucher / Grimes everyday... you see... even if the world collaps we can be at the end of it with our hearts full of love and some sort of hope.

But before you scroll down the lists I would like to mention some of my all time favourite bands and their recent releases like Salad, Sleeper, Belly, Juliana Hatfield and Pixies dear Pixies... I don't know if it's only me or I'm getting old (ok... we all are!) or what...but I was expecting much more from the amazing bands that shaped my likings and made me who I'm in terms of music nerd that I am. I'm not saying they now suck, they don't, everything from them is cool... but there is something wrong with their new stuff that I can not explain. I wanted them to redefine the music again, that's what I really wanted or wish! can we keep creating any sort of art form and get better and better by collecting years of experience?!? I believe so...

Now this...

Weyes Blood, man! what can I say... Natalie Mering is the perfect example of an artist that is getting better and better without loosing the primal medieval/gothic/dark identity of hers. We can still find notes from the two thousand eleven "The Outside Room" album in the outstanding new album but in a subtle and evolved way, its amazing... so, "Titanic Rising" is my obvious choice for album of 2019, in fact I can assure that this masterpiece is the best album I came across in the last thirty years... is that good!!

BEST ALBUM
01.Titanic Rising - Weyes Blood
02.Miss Universe - Nilüfer Yanya
03.Providence - Shannon Wright
04.Satis Factory [2019] / Mattiel [2017]  - Mattiel
05.Lawn Memory - Wild Firth
06.Small Mercies -  Pixx
07.Stay On Your Mind - Miynt
08.House of Sugar - (Sandy) Alex G
09.U.F.O.F. / Two Hands - Big Thief
10.Any Human Friend - Marika Hackman
11.Amyl and the Sniffers - Amyl and The Sniffers
12.Dust, Fierce, Forever - Kap Bambino

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
01.Wild Time - Weyes Blood
02.These Present Arms - Shannon Wright
03.Disgrace - Pixx
04.Nevermind - Wild Firth
05.Keep the Change -  Mattiel
06.Not - Big Thief
07.Paralysed - Nilüfer Yanya
08.Andromeda - Weyes Blood
09.That’s Not My Real Life - Cherry Glazerr
10.Erase - Kap Bambino
11.Some Mutts (Can't Be Muzzled) - Amyl and the Sniffers
12.L'Hawaïenne - La Femme
13.Gretel - (Sandy) Alex G
14.4ÆM - Grimes
15.Venus - Molina
16.The One - Marika Hackman
17.The Idiot - Miynt
18.Daylight Matters - Cate Le Bon
19.Lark - Angel Olsen
20.In Your Head - Nilüfer Yanya
21.No Trace - Carla dal Forno
22.Can't Go On Like This - Native Harrow
23.Count Your Blessings [2017] - Mattiel
24.Everyday - Weyes Blood
25.Forever - Kap Bambino

BEST MUSIC VIDEO
Every music video by Mattiel I've seen is awesome and stands out from the rest because: 1. is not too much (simple story if any) 2. match the music so well like a 1985 Chrysler Fifth Avenue hitting the desert road and finally 3. because Mattiel Brown is cool like Kim Deal just that!... the best music video is "Keep the Change" a clip that glorifies the power of the centre in a 21:9 ratio in such a subtle way that every art student should watch it at least ten times before start any art work envolving composition. The colors on the video are amazing and the editing so natural and effective, beautiful!



Shot and directed by Matthew Addington and Alimzhan Alan Sabir
Produced by Mattiel Brown
First AD and Set Design by Remy Ciuba
Edited by Mattiel Brown

HONORABLE MENTIONS:










Sem comentários: